News:

This forum is now live for members so please register and make a difference!

Main Menu

Abstaining before tests

Started by art, 2011-03-17 09:46

Previous topic - Next topic

art

So, my next sperm count is on Monday, and I've now entered the "abstinence" window, but I thought I'd just ask what everyone else does around this. Conventional wisdom seems to be to abstain for 3-4 days before a test, but how long do you all hold back?

With a test on Monday lunchtime, I will avoid ejaculating from Thursday morning onwards.

On a related note, is there anything short term which can be done to improve sperm counts? I'm aware that formation of sperm (spermatogenesis) takes 64 days in humans, which means that anything I've done in the last two months will have impacted the quality and amount of sperm I produce on Monday, but is there anything specific I can do in the last few days that I'm not already doing?

Thanks for any thoughts...

mensfe_admin

Hello Art
From the feed back from male patients/clinicians in your situation you are quite correct, 3-5 days is the adviced optimum to abstain. Regards the very short term as you are probably already doing: no drinking, no smoking, no cycling, stay away from having a hot bath, shower instead, and a balanced diet.
Other holistic remedies access diet.

On the proposed day of treatment "if" IVF/Egg donation as you are aware there are two ways of fertilisation 1) natural -petra dish sperm/eggs then incubated 2-3 days or 5 day blaster cyst - then ET (embryo transfer).
2) ICSI - one sperm cell injected in to each individual egg them incubated 2-3 days or 5 day blaster cyst - then ET.

IUI would not be an option if there was low sperm count the above would apply.

Your clinician would always advice on the above.
Interesting to hear what every one thinks and/or has done..............

GOOD LUCK

ptravis

Hi Art,

You are correct that abstinance should be maintained for a period of time prior to your semen analysis to provide optimum results. The advised period is no shorter than 3 days and no longer than 5 days. You're results will indicate whether a shorter or longer abstinance period is necessary for future analysis.

I agree with mensfe_admin in that the obvious things to avoid are alcohol, tobacco and anything that may raise your temperature such as sauna's, hot bath's, sitting with your laptop on your lap!

In the long term, please see below for information on how to keep your sperm count up.

Reduce heavy social drinking
A heavy social drinking session will temporarily reduce your sperm count and regular heavy drinking damages the tubes that carry semen, reduces motility and increases the numbers of abnormal sperm cells. Giving up alcohol completely for three to six months can, on its own, be sufficient to restore fertility if you drink heavily and have been doing so for some time.

Deal with stress

Stress at work or home leads to high levels of adrenalin and the release of other hormones which can restrict blood flow to the testes and inhibit sperm production. Stress can also lead to the release of chemical by-products, called free radicals, which damage sperm. It is believed that the stress of frequent flying may lower sperm counts and recent research also suggests that prolonged use of laptop computers, especially those with infrared connectivity, may also have an adverse effect – so be careful.

Stop smoking
Smoking isn't healthy under any circumstances and tobacco smoke contains chemicals that weaken sperm function and deplete the anti-oxidants, especially vitamin C, that neutralise the damaging free radicals. Give up right now is the only advice you need.

Avoid recreational drugs
Recreational drugs and male fertility do not go well together.

Cannabis leads to a lowered sperm count and an increase in abnormal sperm. Smoking one joint lowers testosterone levels for up to 36 hours, cocaine negatively affects sperm motility and inhibits fertilisation.

Avoid muscle-building drugs, too. Anabolic steroids, taken by some athletes to improve strength and endurance and increase muscle size, may boost sex drive in the short term but, in the long term, they have the opposite effect and can cause a significant drop in sperm count.

Stay cool
Tight Y-fronts, hot baths and high central heating temperatures may all affect sperm production and are avoidable – so avoid them.Long hours sitting at a desk or computer should be followed by a brisk walk. Keeping cool is important at all times, as is regular exercise, which is essential.

Reduce your caffeine intake
A few cups of coffee are fine but too much has a bad effect, despite a Brazilian study that suggested that caffeine perks up sperm motility. Reducing caffeine intake makes sense.

Improve your diet
Folic acid is a natural substance that helps to keep your sperm count high and, to maximise your intake, eat plenty of fresh dark green vegetables like spinach and broccoli.

Otherwise, there is plenty of dietary advice around but, for most people, it's simple. Maintain a balanced diet, avoid fatty foods and keep your weight down.

Remember that there are three main factors which make up good sperm: -

Sperm count:>20M/ml of ejaculate
Morphology:the shape of the sperm
Motility: how fast and straight the sperm swim

If you would like to view the full article for this, including a table which advises the type of food and vitimans that may increase your sperm count, please go to the following link:

Good luck!

robbyb

art