News:

This forum is now live for members so please register and make a difference!

Main Menu

Eastern Medicine

Started by chrisd, 2009-12-22 08:37

Previous topic - Next topic

chrisd

Our fertility problem is that my partner has low quality eggs, we found this out when she had her FSH level tested and it was at 11.5.  We decided to go for IVF and she was tested again on the 3rd day of her cycle and the result was 13.2.

This was a bit of a shock to us, my partner is 38 (she has no children).  She also had a short cycle approx 24 days.  The IVF didn't work as she was a poor responder to the treatment and only had 1 follicle.

We did a bit of research and found out that accupuncture and herbs could be of benefit to someone in her situation.  She has now been attending accupuncture each week and seeing a herbalist who has given her a concoxtion to drink twice a day for the last 6 months.  The results have been nothing short of amazing, she is like a different person, now she has regular 28 day cycles and no PMT ;D.  Her body temperature has risen (she used to be always cold, 2 quilts on the bed in the height of summer) and she generally feels much better in herself.

I wanted to know if anyone else has considered or tried Eastern methods and if they have had any success.

Chris 

robbyb

I'm going for my first session of acupuncture next week, Chris.

I hope I get the same good results as Tracy.  I could do with getting that PMT under control!   ;D

mensfe_admin

Hey guys, whatever works................... its good to be in (take) as much control as possible - well done and good luck.

chrisd

Let me know how you get on Rob.

Good luck matey.

robbyb

I've not got much to add to this thread aside to say that I did have two treatments with a local guy.
He advertised himself as a specilaist in male infertility but when it came to it he just put three needles in either foot and calf and then ******ed off for 40 minutes!
I wonder what he would have done if he'd known that I'm an acupuncturist as well!  I do it for pain relief and wouldn't have the first clue about fertility treatment but I recognise shoddy practice when I see it!

When we saw our consultant a week or two ago she was quite emphatic in saying not to bother with it.

So I've not gone back since.

Spence

I am a doctor of Traditional Chinese medicine and would love to offer my time to answer any questions you may have about how acupuncture, herbals, diet and lifestyle can help improve male factor infertility.  I have been treating both women and men exclusively for fertility problems for the past 7 years in my clinic in Vancouver.  There is plenty of research that shows trends of effectiveness with male factor and Chinese medicine/acupuncture.  It is a man's primary option for treatment, as the alternative is ICSI, and this has many risks for the offspring, so it should be avoided if at all possible.  If you have semen parameters that are low, there are things you can do to help improve your chances of having a healthy baby.

mensfe_admin

Who Stole Fertility?
With a growing business in the medical field of fertility products, are Americans as infertile as they'd like to believe? Or is the industry a response to the new impatient nature of the nation?
By Virginia Rutter, Tom Arma, published on March 01, 1996 - last reviewed on October 01, 2009
Contrary to popular belief, there is no infertility crisis sweeping the nation. We've just lost all conception of what it takes to conceive. Reproductive technology has made us impatient with nature. So for increasing numbers of couples the creation of a new human being has become a strangely dehumanizing process.
My great-aunt Emily and great-uncle Harry never had kids, and nobody in our family talked about it. Growing up, I knew not to ask. It would have been impolite, as crass as asking about their income or their weight. The message was clear: If they didn't have kids, they couldn't have them, and talking about it would only be humiliating.
How times have changed. Today, a couple's reproductive prospects—or lack of them—are not only apt to be a conversation topic at your average dinner party, they're the subject of countless news stories illustrating our nationwide infertility "crisis."
In an infertility cover story last year, Newsweek reported that more than 3 million American couples would seek procreative help in 1995. Diagnostic tests, hormone treatments, fertility drugs, and assisted-reproduction techniques with names like in vitro fertilization (IVF), gamete intrafallopian transfers (GIFT), intrauterine insemination (IUI), zygote intrafallopian transfer (ZIFT), intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI)—to name the top five procedures—have become as much a part of the reproductive process as the more poetic aspects of family making. While some of those 3 million-plus couples were legitimate candidates for the host of high-tech options now available to them, most wound up needing only low-tech assistance, such as boxer shorts instead of briefs.