News:

This forum is now live for members so please register and make a difference!

Main Menu

I found you...

Started by Will70, 2008-03-19 23:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Will70

:D Hi been searching for a while now for forum like this, just saw advert today at clinic ( first counselling sess) we have been infertile for two years now (down 2 my poor swimmers) going for ICSI later this year once we get the £4k together and look forward to more stress and debt...(only joking...)

Looking forward to speaking to you all - bit shocked there aint more men on here compared to sites my wife visits (IVF World ect..) but glad theres other guys out there willing to open up and talk.

Thanks
W

ptravis

Hi Will - glad you found the site - more stress and debt, I know the feeling but the rewards are great - the problem is coping with the not knowing, nothing being garanteed - is it going to work is it not.
We are on our 4th attempt of IVF but my good lady (I should say we) have decided that at our age if this time it does not work we will go down an egg donation route. Now there's a few things to think about. Anyone out there that can throw some light on egg donation???
By the way Will the very best of luck to you both - speak soon.

ptravis

Thanks for this most helpful - I look forward to more info

drichards

I had no idea there was so much diversity in legislation for egg donation which clearley effects choise - Thanks like the guy before I look forward to reading your full account. Cheers Dave

admann

Welcome!

My wife and I have been on the fertility journey for 8 years and off any birth control for 12. During this time I have come to realize men just don't seem to spend the time seeking support or information as our wives do. I think it is easier for us to detach from the whole thing. After all, it isn't our bodies that go through the process.

You are both in for an emotional roller coaster. The best advise I have had to date when dealing with the emotional aspect of this journey is not to fight it. Your emotions will be what they will be. If things don't work out, there will be anger, sadness, guilt (we always find ways to blame ourselves... If I only did this os that...) and in the end, hope. Just accept the emotions for what they are - temporary. The biggest challenge I have had to get over is the need to "fix" the problem and the anger associated with not being able to.

We have gone through 2 ICSI IVF cycles and are currently going through a frozen cycle (we had 7 good embryos from our 2nd IVF to freeze). I hope you are successful on your first!

We have looked into and practiced many different approaches. Our most successful has been through a combination of traditional chinese medicine (TCM) and ICSI IVF. We are fortunate that our clinic works closely with a TCM practitioner. If you are going to spend the money on an IVF cycle, try to make sure you and your partner are in the best possible frame of mind and as 'hospitable' to the prccess as you can be.

I guess the fundimental thing to remember as you go through the process is - you got together with your partner to be with her. Not because you are or would be parents. Love each other no matter what the outcome.

Cheers.